A New Sharon man sustained significant injuries while burning trash in a barrel.

The Maine Department of Public Safety says the New Sharon Fire Department received the report just after 5:00 Monday afternoon of an injured person at 33 Gloria Road in New Sharon. When they arrived they found 85-year-old John Gill, who lives at the residence with his girlfriend, with burns to approximately 85% of his body. Gill was taken by Life Flight to Maine Medical Center, where he was listed in critical condition.

Officials say he had been using his outside burn barrel to get rid of some trash, when he decided to add gasoline to the barrel.

The Maine State Fire Marshal's Office will investigate the incident.

10 Tips to Allow Cars and Motorcycles to Safely Coexist

These Are The Six Most Dangerous Jobs In Maine


More From WQCB Brewer Maine