Bradley Fire Leaves Eight People Homeless
A fire that started with a mattress leaning against a cook stove has left eight Bradley residents homeless.
Firefighters told WVII-TV that the call came in for a mattress fire just after 5 p.m. By the time crews from Bradley and surrounding towns arrived at the Pine Street home, the building was fully involved.
Neighbors say they heard a little boy scream loudly and thought it was just someone playing until they realized what was going on. The children were gathered in front of a neighbor's television and given ice cream while firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze. Between the wind and shingles on the outside of the structure, Bradley Fire Chief Eric Gifford said it was a tough fire to knock down.
Now, neighbors are rallying around the family that's lost its home. Eight members of one family lived in the building, including four children under the age of 16. The Red Cross is also helping the family who didn't have insurance.