Maine Spring Turkey Hunting Season Begins
Youth hunters got a jump start over the weekend, now the spring turkey season is underway for all.
Maine's spring turkey hunt is underway. The season opened Monday, May 3. With a valid Maine big game or small game hunting license, turkey hunters can purchase a wild turkey permit for $20 for both residents and non-residents.
Season bag limits are up to two bearded wild turkeys in most Wildlife Management Districts. A hunter may harvest only one bearded turkey in WMDs 1-6, and 9. Fall bag limits vary in Wildlife Management Districts around the state.
Hunters are encouraged to check over Maine's 2021 Hunting Laws before hitting the turkey woods. Here's some quick reminders:
- Use of a dog or dogs in any manner while hunting turkey, except during the fall season, is prohibited.
- All wild turkeys taken by hunters shall be presented for registration within 18 hour, at an established state registration station. The fee to register a wild turkey is $2.00.
- It is illegal to shoot a turkey while it is in a tree.
- Legal hunting time is from 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset.
- The use of electronic calling devices is legal.
The spring turkey season runs through June 5. For more information visit mefishwildlife.com.