A Wales man is lucky to be alive today, after being rescued from his burning home early Tuesday morning.

In a post on the Wales Fire Department's Facebook page, officials report the house fire on Pond Road was called in just before 12:30 Tuesday morning. Multiple departments were provided mutual aid with the blaze that was shooting flames and smoke into the air, when crews arrived.

WQCB Brewer Maine logo
Get our free mobile app

When firefighters learned there was a person trapped inside the home, Lieutenant Remy from Monmouth Fire put a ladder to the rear bedroom window, while Captain Allen and Lieutenant DeForge of Wales Fire masked up and performed an aggressive search. When the victim was located, he was taken out through the window and down the ladder to safety. Officials say the victim was conscious, alert, and talking once they reached the ground.

The fire is thought to have started with a clothes dryer. Despite their best efforts, fire officials say the house is a total loss.

Wales Fire was aided at the scene by departments from Sabattus, Monmouth, Greene, Leeds, Turner, Lisbon, Bowdoin, and Winthrop, as well as the Androscoggin County Sheriff's Office and United Ambulance.

The community of Wales is in Androscoggin County and sits northeast of Auburn.

8 Tips for Safe Open Burning

How Many in America: From Guns to Ghost Towns

Can you take a guess as to how many public schools are in the U.S.? Do you have any clue as to how many billionaires might be residing there? Read on to find out—and learn a thing or two about each of these selection’s cultural significance and legacy along the way.

More From WQCB Brewer Maine