Recipients of SNAP benefits may be able to collect supplemental benefits to replace food lost to the power outage.

The Department of Health and Human Services is following standard state and federal procedures and offering replacement benefits to recipients of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits who lost power. If the recipient had an extended loss of power and lost food they bought with SNAP benefits, they can get a supplemental benefit equal to the amount of their loss but not more than their monthly benefit.

Anyone who thinks they qualify can contact the Office for Family Independence at 1-855-797-4357 to request an application form. Applicants will have to follow the established guidelines and processes in place in order to receive their benefits.

DHHS Commissioner Ricker Hamilton said in a media release, "This is the true purpose of these programs - to provide assistance to the truly needy, especially in these kinds of emergency situations."

More From WQCB Brewer Maine