Have You Been to the Amish Community Market in Unity Maine?
From crafts to staples to homemade donuts - the Community Market has it all.
According to their Facebook page:
Lewis sells breads, cookies, jams and jellies and bulk food supplies. Fresh baked goods, donuts, pies, kitchen and household items, Hardware, Animal grains and feeds, boots, gloves, wood stoves and lanterns. You have to come in to see all he has!
I don't know who Lewis is, but I want the donuts he makes!
According to the Google, there are more than 280,000 Amish in 31 different states, plus a few communities in Canada and Latin America. The country's Amish population has actually gone up by 20 percent in the last five years. Here in Maine we have 40 more Amish families. We have about 850 Amish here in Maine, double what is was 10 years ago.
What exactly are the values of the Amish? Well, according the the BBC:
- putting God and community ahead of the individual;
- a life of 'goodness', rather than a life of intellect;
- life as a spiritual activity;
- wisdom, rather than technical knowledge;
- community welfare, rather than competition;
- separation from, rather than integration with, modern worldly society;
We all know about the horse and buggy - no electricity angle, but maybe if you find yourself in Unity, you'll want to stop by and see what the community of Amish there have to offer in their market!
10 Famous People You Probably Didn't Know Were Born In Maine