Father of Baby Who Died of an Overdose Allegedly Caught With Meth
A Winterport man, whose child died of an overdose of fentanyl, is facing new charges after allegedly being caught with a bag of meth.
Shane Smith, 31,was out on bail for a child endangerment charge when police say they found him in possession of methamphetamines. According to WABI-TV, court documents state Smith was found lying in the grass near the Howland exit of I-95 on Monday night. He allegedly told police that he had eaten some meth and couldn't see. Police say he allegedly had a bag of meth in his possession, at the time. He was checked out at a local hospital.
Smith is now facing charges of drug possession and violating conditions of release, in addition to the original charge of child endangerment. The 1-year-old's mother, 33-year-old Kimberly Nelligan, is also charged with child endangerment after allegedly rubbing fentanyl on the child's gums to stop her crying. Smith is now being held without bail.