Maine Fire Marshal Determines the Cause of the Bluenose Inn Fire
The Maine State Fire Marshal's Office has determined that electrical issues started a fire at the Bluenose Inn in Bar Harbor.
How Bad Was the Fire?
Fire Departments from all over Hancock and Penobscot Counties responded to the four-alarm fire on Eden Street that was first called in at approximately 2:30 Thursday afternoon, February 10th. For more than four hours crews battled the fire that included huge flames and smoke that could be seen all over the island. Even after the flames were out, firefighters remained at the scene for roughly 21 hours, containing hot spots.
How Did It Start?
The Maine State Fire Marshal's Office was called to investigate the fire that destroyed an annex located behind the main building. Now, investigators say the fire was electrical in nature and that the sprinkler system had been shut off. Fortunately, there were no injuries to any employees or firefighters.
What's the Financial Loss to the Business?
The total loss to the Bluenose Inn is estimated at approximately $10 million.
Owners of the Bluenose Inn have expressed their gratitude, not only to the firefighters who fought the fire and helped the main building to be spared, but also community members and businesses who offered everything from food and water to places for fire crews to get warm.