Bald Eagle Known As ‘Mom Bangor’ Passes Away
An adult female bald eagle who nested along the Kenduskeag Stream in Bangor died Friday from severe lead poisoning.
The bird, known as "Mom Bangor," was found Thursday evening in a "very debilitated state" on a branch along the Kenduskeag Stream.
She was taken to Avian Haven, a rehabilitation center in Freedom, where staff concluded she was suffering from severe lead poisoning.
"We are heartbroken to see her like this. We’ve given her fluids and chelation therapy, and made her comfortable, but the prognosis for Mom Bangor is not good," Avian Haven wrote in a Facebook post Thursday evening.
According to the National Wildlife Health Center, birds of prey can be exposed to lead through the ingestion of spent lead shot, bullet fragments and fishing sinkers.
On Friday morning, the post was updated with news of her death.
She's the same eagle who was the mother of two eaglets who were rescued from their Kenduskeag Avenue nest in 2014 after both parents became ill. The eaglets grew up strong and healthy at Avian Haven and were released, as was Mom.