Waterville Fire Started Near Pellet Stove
Waterville firefighters limited the damage to a two-family apartment building Sunday that started because of a pellet stove.
According to Centralmaine.com, the fire was reported just after 9:00 Sunday morning at a duplex on Gold Street. A man who lives in the upstairs apartment said he noticed that the area around his pellet stove exhaust had caught on fire, ran outside to check it out, and then went back inside to evacuate the other residents, including his son and their dog. Waterville fire officials say there were no working smoke or carbon monoxide detectors on the second floor of the two-unit building.
Firefighters limited the damage to a section of the wall and the roof. The cause of the fire is being attributed to an improperly installed pellet stove exhaust.