Kaci Hickox Responds To Judge’s Decision [VIDEO]
Kaci Hickox spoke to the media Friday afternoon after a judge rejected a restraining order request filed by the State. She told reporters that she's 'very satisfied with the decision.'
Hickox, who worked with Ebola patients in Sierra Leone, has protested and finally rejected the protocols put forth by the Maine Department of Health and Human Services and the Maine CDC. Today, she said that the regular health monitoring and visits from health officials are a good compromise.
The State had acquired a temporary restraining order that included limiting her access to others. Health officials requested that she be banned from public places like movie theaters and shopping malls, and forced to stay at least 3 feet away from others when engaging in outdoor activities like the bike ride she took earlier this week.
On Friday, a judge rejected the restraining order, saying the state had not upheld the burden of proof that such restrictions would limit possible harm to others. The judge did allow for the regular monitoring and ordered that Hickox notify state officials if she plans to travel so the monitoring can continue.
Attorney General Janet Mills released a statement today, expressing that she is 'very pleased' with the judge's decision.
"The situation is unusual, but it is important that the judge recognized the ‘misconceptions, misinformation, bad science and bad information being spread from shore to shore...with respect to Ebola. I believe we must do everything in our power not to fan the flames of fear but to encourage public health professionals such as Kaci Hickox to continue their brave humanitarian work to control this deadly disease and to welcome them home when they return.”