Home Destroyed, Pets Lost In Fairfield Fire
A home on Ohio Hill Road in Fairfield was destroyed by fire Thursday morning, and the family who lived there also lost two pets in the fire.
Firefighters said the blaze was caused by a heater that was being used to dry hockey equipment, WABI reported.
None of the residents of the home were hurt in the fire, which was reported around 8:30 a.m. A dog and a cat were killed, but firefighters said two other dogs survived the blaze.
Fairfield Fire Chief Duane Bickford said a public works crew was called in to clear the snow around the nearest fire hydrant.
“The water is quite a ways back off the hydrant and there is a little difficulty getting around the home in the deep snow,” Bickford told TV5.
Bickford said there were working smoke detectors in the home, and because the fire has been ruled accidental, the State Fire Marshall’s Office will not investigate the blaze.