Bangor, Maine News Update: January 8, 2018
A projectionist for the Strand Cinema in Skowhegan died as the result of a fire Friday in his home theater. Officials say they believe the fire that killed 53-year-old William Lashon was the result of faulty electrical wiring. This is the first fire-related fatality of the New Year.
The search continues for a clammer who went missing in St. George during Thursday’s blizzard. Family members say 35-year-old Paul Benner went out on his boat Thursday, but never returned. Officials say they’ve found a boat like his that was unmanned but there’s been no sign of Benner.
Once the holidays are over, most people concentrate on getting through the winter, and forget about the shelters and food pantries that still need help. The Bangor Area Homeless Shelter says it’s in need of things like waterproof gloves, sturdy boots, and warm blankets. Learn more about you can help at Bangor area shelter dot org.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has awarded nearly 340 thousand dollars to the state of Maine in an effort to clean up diesel pollution. The money will be used to reduce emissions from older, heavy-duty diesel engines that emit large amounts of pollutants that can cause serious health problems.
A Maine college is once again gearing up for its annual environmental career far, in the hopes of connecting job seekers with green careers. Unity College will host the event on March 6th, with exhibitors to include conservation groups, wildlife and habitat protection, and law enforcement. In all, more than 100 companies and organizations will be looking for potential new hires.