Toaster Malfunction Causes Fatal Fire in Vassalboro
Fire officials say one man was killed when a malfunctioning toaster started a fire that swept through the house.
UPDATE: The victim has been identified as 26-year-old Nicholas Blaschke, who lived in the house with his mother. Officials say it's likely he overloaded the toaster, it overheated, and caught fire. His body was found on the kitchen floor.
Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland says crews were called Thursday afternoon to a home on the Hussey Hill Road, where a toaster fire had spread. The victim's mother discovered the fire when she returned home from work late in the afternoon. A State Police trooper, who lives nearby, pulled the man from the smoke-filled house but resuscitation efforts were not successful. According to the State Fire Marshal's Office, State Police Lieutenant Scott Ireland was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.
Officials say the victim's name will be released later today, after other family members have been notified of his death.