Acadia Gate Fee Would Increase To $70 Under NPS Plan
The National Park Service is proposing increasing fees at select highly visited national parks -- including Acadia National Park -- during peak visitor seasons to generate needed revenue for improvements to the infrastructure including roads, bridges, campgrounds, waterlines, bathrooms and other visitor services.
Under the proposal, the peak season would start at Acadia National Park on June 1, 2018 and last through Oct. 31, 2018.
During the peak season the entrance fee would be $70 per private, non commercial vehicle, currently $25. The fee would be $50 per motorcycle, currently $20. The fee for people on bike or foot would be $30, currently $12. These are for seven-day periods. A annual pass would be available for $75, currently $50.
Under the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act, 80 percent of the fees collected at Acadia National Park would remain in the Park, with the other 20 percent being spent on projects in other national parks.
The National Park Service is also proposing entry and permit fee adjustments for commercial tour operators. All proposed fee adjustments for commercial operators would go into effect following an 18 month implementation window.
A public comment period on the peak season entrance fee proposal is now open (October 24) and will remain open to November 23, 2017. You can click HERE for more information and the link for the public comment.