Country Fest In Brooks Saturday Will Honor Veterans
For the second year in a row, local musicians will gather in Brooks for an afternoon and evening of Country music, refreshments, and fun!
I have to admit, I wasn't sure what to expect of last year's debut event. But I was pleasantly surprised when Jim and I arrived at beautiful Brooks Community Park. The stage is set up under a canopy of large trees, with musicians and spectators sitting in their own folding chairs. We could smell food cooking from the refreshment area and took a walk down to the edge of a stream that runs alongside the park. We loved the music, the food, and the vendor/crafts people area where I bought my now-favorite pair of earrings!
But the focus of the day, obviously, is the music. With all the huge concerts in the area, it was refreshing to go to a festival that highlights local musicians. Much of the music offered had a decidedly classic flavor, which was welcomed heartily by spectators. And this year's Country Fest promises more of the same, with some contemporary mixed in, and even one of the area's best Elvis tribute artists!
May 20th is Armed Forces Day, so there will be a tribute to the troops! And, all veterans who show a military card or any other documentation, will pay only $5 to get in. All other adults will pay $10 for an all-day pass. It's $5 for teens 13 to 18, and kids 12 and under get in free! Belfast, Mt View, and Searsport High School students will also get in for $5. This is the first of 4 music festivals in Brooks this summer, each with a different musical theme, put on by Rob Dunbar Productions.
Here's the schedule, which is subject to change if necessary. We hope you can join us!
- 12:00-12:30 - National Anthem by Holly Parker and I'll get up to welcome everyone
- 12:35-1:00 - Alexis Loring
- 1:15-2:30 - The Mainely Country Band
- 2:40-3:10 - Sister Music Page
- 3:20-4:00 - Rose Langille and Melissa Marlow with music from Loretta Lynn, Kitty Wells and Patsy Cline
- 4:10-5:10 - The Zack Daniels Duo
- 5:20-6:20 - Splyce, featuring songs from Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash
- 6:30-7:10 - Barry Arvin Young and John Whitman Sr. with music from Hank Williams and George Jones, plus a medley of Country hits
- 7:15 to 8:00 - Jessi Mallory will perform a set list of Elvis Presley music