The State Fire Marshal's Office says smoking is the likely cause of a fire that claimed the life of a Bridgton man.

WABI-TV reports crews were called to the second floor of the Pikes Farms apartments on High Street just after 7:30 Friday night. The damage was confined to a single apartment, where they found 73-year-old Randall Harmon.

Investigators say it appears Harmon fell asleep in a chair with a cigarette that then ignited his clothing. The other residents of the complex were able to get out safely and no one else was injured.

More From WQCB Brewer Maine