Trail Riders: Landowner Appreciation Day is September 9th
On September 9th it is going to be Landowner Appreciation Day! According to a Facebook post from the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife, This is the day set aside for clubs and organizations that utilize Maine's ITS system, to show thanks to the private landowners who let folks travel through their property along these trails.
If your club wants to enter you can do so by contacting Virginia Vincent at 207-287-5240, or by emailing her at email@example.com. When contacting her, you'll also want to provide her with this info:
- Club /organization name and amount in group that will be participating
- Area of the state where you will be willing to help
- Contact person & phone number, e-mail address
- Clean up sites that you will be working on such as towns, locations, landowners, etc.
There are also some super sweet prizes to be awarded for teams who clean up the most trash. Kittery Trading Post has donated some cash to pick up the trash. Prizes are:
- 1st place prize $1000.00 gift card to KTP
- 2nd place prize $750.00 gift card to KTP
- 3rd place prize $500.00 gift card to KTP
- 4th place prized $250.00 gift card to KTP
The Maine Warden Service and the Maine Forest Service will be hosting sites to measure the trash picked up. It will be evaluated by each pickup truckload, and winners will be chosen based on these results.
So good luck out there, and thanks in advance to all who participate for picking up not only after yourselves, but for lots of other folks as well. And I'm sure the landowners thank you most of all!