Stretch Your Dollar Day
Learn how to stretch your dollar, get your taxes done, and talk to trained Asset Coaches this Saturday in Bangor! Several Bangor organizations are joining together to help you learn how to better manage your money and stretch your dollar.
A coalition of local community partners including Eastern Maine Development Corporation, Eastern Maine Cash Coalition, Greater Bangor Asset Disability Network, Tri-County Career Center, and United Way of Eastern Maine have organized a day of exhibits, workshops, free tax preparation, asset coaching, and networking to help people in the Greater Bangor area make their money go far. We could all use a little advice in the current economic climate, so plan to attend!
The event takes place from 9am to 2pm Saturday, March 2nd at Eastport Hall, 128 Texas Avenue in Bangor on the University of Maine Augusta's Bangor Campus. The flexible schedule will allow participants to drop in for one workshop or attend the full day. Free tax preparation is available by appointment; call United Way at 941-2800 to schedule a tax preparation appointment. Organizers recommend registering for the event by calling United Way, but walk-ins will certainly be welcome! Here's the schedule of events...for more information, call the United Way!
10:00-10:45 AM concurrent workshops.
1. Work & Your Disability Benefits: If you have said “I want to work but I’m not sure what will
happen to my disability benefits.”
2. Bangor on a Budget: Who says you can’t have fun on a shoestring? Bangor on a Budget shows
you how it’s done!
3. Home Ownership: MaineStream Finance staff will discuss planning for home ownership.
4. Invest in Yourself: Learn tips on saving, develop a plan, set goals, cut expenses and “pay yourself
11:00-11:45 AM concurrent workshops.
1. Paying for Your Education: Education is expensive! A panel of experts share strategies for
funding post-secondary training.
2. Extreme Couponing: Learn tips and tricks – some tried and true and many new - for saving
money by clipping coupons.
3. Self-employment: Learn the steps for starting your own business. Find out where you can get
help for all stages of managing it all
4. Lower Your Energy Costs: Learn about the top 10 ways renters and homeowners can reduce
their energy costs.
11:45 AM-12:45 PM Free lunch and exhibitors. Area professionals will be on hand to answer your
money and budget related questions.
12:45-1:30 PM Concurrent Workshops.
1. Family Development Accounts: A savings account with a 4-1 match? Learn how to access this
program to fund your future.
2. Eat Well for Less: With grocery prices rising, learn how to eat nutritiously AND save money at
the same time.
3. Dress for Success for Less: Look great, feel confident, make a good impression without breaking
4. A Consumer’s Guide to Buying a Car: Do you dread car shopping? Learn from the experience of a