Man Who Overdosed At Machiasport Job Is Suing Employer
A Baileyville man claims his coworkers at a Machiasport salmon farm didn't react appropriately when he overdosed on the job.
WGME-TV reports 30-year-old Brian Taylor collapsed while putting on a pair of boots, at about 11:00 on the night of November 25, 2016. He stayed in the same position, with his head on the floor, until his coworkers found him. Those coworkers picked him up and put him in a cold shower, instead of immediately calling 911, which is what Taylor's attorney says prompted the lawsuit.
But prior to the shower, his defense attorney alleges that those employees waited 30 minutes for a supervisor to call back, before finally putting him in a chair and setting it in the shower. He alleges that Taylor was then left in that position for over 4 hours, until a manager arrived to call 911. It allegedly took five doses of Narcan to revive Taylor, and he spent months in the hospital and rehab. He's now in a wheelchair and will need medical care for the rest of his life.
Taylor alleges that True North Maine, Inc., a division of Cooke Aquaculture Inc. of Blacks Harbor, New Brunswick, failed to operate a safe workplace where employees were properly trained to render aid. Taylor's attorney says the lawsuit, which was filed a year ago, has been delayed because the company and its insurance carrier have refused to pay the cost of a lawyer.
Court documents state that he's been denied workers' compensation because his injury was not caused by a workplace accident, but rather by a drug overdose. Cooke Aquaculture has a prohibition against alcohol and drug use on the job, that was in place when Taylor was injured.