Major Road Construction to Begin on Main Road into Bar Harbor
The construction will continue into the spring and summer most likely causing traffic delays.
According to the MDI Islander, Maine DOT plans to begin roadwork on a 4.8 mile section of Rt 3. This area is approximately from Pirates Cove Adventure Golf to Mt. Desert St.
Detour routes suggest going around the park on Rt 102 or using Crooked Rd. and Rt 233 to lessen the flow of traffic through construction areas. Work is scheduled to being January 9, 2017. The reconstruction project is estimated to take continuous work from the 9th until 2019.
According to the Maine DOT site the goals of the project are:
- Paved shoulders for bicyclists and pedestrians
- Some new sidewalks, and sidewalk improvements to meet ADA standards
- Safer crossings, with electronic crossing signs
- A new multi-use path along part of the project span
- Where possible, a 3-foot wide esplanade between sidewalk/multi-use path and the road
- New rock catchment area along the bluffs
- Upgrade of intersection at Mt Desert St. and West St.
- Improved drainage and runoff management
- New road surface and striping
Residents and travelers can stay up to date with the projects progress at MaineDOT.gov.
See a map of the project and detour routes here.