Collection Drive Extended:Hurricane Sandy Relief Donations Sought
This collection of relief supplies has been extended!! A woman from Maine is traveling to her home state of New York to check up on her Long Island parents. Not wanting to go empty-handed, Fran has rented a U-Haul and is collecting donations for Hurricane Sandy victims to take with her. You'll find her at Target in Bangor all day today and for part of tomorrow morning, taking your donations.
Fran is now working with the United Way to collect what's needed and to make sure the donations are distributed to folks in Long Island and on the hard-hit Staten Island. She says her family is okay but they just got power back this week, and her sister can't go to work in Rockaway Beach, because of sand and water damage. She hopes you can help her to offer the victims some relief. She told me that people in these areas are reluctant to leave their homes to go to shelters because they're afraid of looters. These supplies will help them to be able to stay put.
Fran has her truck set up today and for part of the morning tomorrow in the Target parking lot in Bangor. Thank you, in advance, for any help you can give! Here's a list of the items that are needed...
- Ready-to-eat food that doesn't need refrigeration
- Juice boxes
- Small Gatorade bottles
- Granola/Energy bars
- Peanut butter (plastic jars only)
- Tuna fish
- Cold Cereal
- Baby food and formula
- Canned items that have a pull-tab top and don't need to be cooked
- Paper goods-plates, diapers, tissue, plastic utensils, salt, pepper, napkins
- Cleaning supplies - bleach, laundry detergent
- Toiletries - toothpaste, toothbrushes, mouthwash, hand soap, band-aids, antiseptic, adult diapers, disinfectant wipes, combs and brushes
- School supplies - pencils, scissors, spiral notebooks, erasers, paper, colored pencils, crayons, pens, pencil sharpeners